Peter Jackson and...

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
Peter Jackson and...
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Peter Jackson and... Reply with quote

Don't misunderstand the direction of this post, it's not about the film at all and rather the motivation behind it. As you're all probably aware, Peter Jackson is a director who has in recent years directed such epic films as King Kong, the Lord of The Rings Trilogy and the much anticipated "Halo" based on the game of the same name. But how exactly did a person of modest means and resources, located in probably the most remote place in the world (New Zealand) get to be one of the most desirable directors in the world. The answer is, Bad Taste.

But not just the film in itself, it's the way it was made that shares similar ties with George Romero of the "-of the dead" fame, in that it was made by friends, family, out of his own modest pocket and done on the weekends between his REAL job. For Jackson, this was lithography- Romero's history isn't as forthcoming as it seems he's been involved with the cinema all of his life right from the beginning including such memorable instances as being arrested at age 14 for throwing a flaming dummy off a Bronx rooftop while filming "The Man From the Meteor" in 1954. Jackson was no different as he made his own films from the moment he was able to lift the family's first camera.

This camera... It had no sound, it had no freeze function, no video editing and none of the amazing things we can do today. Yet he worked with it and experimented with the medium, his first special effect for instance was punching pinholes through a negative to simulate gunfire. It sounds primitive but a similar technique was used in Bad Taste, in fact, EVERY technique was used in Bad Taste. It was originally a short to practice his art which evolved into four long years of shooting, ending up with a 90 minute feature which won him great acclaim at Cannes.

What did Peter Jackson need to accomplish this feat? Simply put, Peter Jackson! And that's what I find so inspiring, the fact that he not only wrote, directed, produced, shot, composed, armored, provided special effects, and personally acted about a dozen different parts in the film, including one scene where he throws himself off a cliff! - yes you read that right. As the film progresses, the filming gets notably better, the stunts and special effects improve dramatically, near the end they do things that are incredibly technical and made me wonder how they ever managed it! And it all stemmed from his garage, his parent's oven and his own mind.

A salute to Peter Jackson, he tried and failed... and then he tried again!

The bottom line is... Don't make excuses for yourself and procrastinate, don't be an academic of your own life and don't keep yourself from success for fear of failure.

Just do it, for whatever the outcome you will be victorious!
Michael Danton.

P.S.
I watched this film on youtube recently and I throughly encourage you to do the same. If you do, don't miss the making of- which is also present. I guarantee you'll gain a whole new perspective of it.

-Alpheez
Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:18 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: