O Bummer.

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
O Bummer.
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post O Bummer. Reply with quote

I have been contemplating and trying to encapsulate the events of the election that has just concluded in Barack Obama's favour. Trying to put things into perspective and paraphrase the state of the union in ways that even I can understand. It's just not that easy, for the past month at least I have been watching the news almost all day every day and I feel as though I should be something of a pundit myself on how the political system works.... and I'm still at a loss. It didn't make sense to me because just recently I realized I was looking in the wrong place. It's not political at all, it's not even philosophical -- It's psychological!

There are lots of reasons the election went the way it did: Voter fraud, three times the campaign money or maybe people just wanted a "change"? I think they were all contributing factors however I think there's something else that deserves to be examined, it's the elephant in the room that no one is talking about and is the focus of this post, it's racism.

Gasp, shock horror! Did I just say this election had anything to do with race? Well of course it did and the closing statistics are undeniable and nowhere clearer than in Virginia where 60% of the white population voted for Obama, and 93% of the black population also voted for Obama. If colour didn't come into it, wouldn't 93% of the whites vote for Obama as well? No, they followed expected republican/democratic trends regardless of race. I'm no mathematician but it appears to me that 8 out of 10 Negroes are racist and selected Barack Obama by colour alone, the definition of racism... It doesn't just apply to whites.

Something very similar to this happened in Australia many years ago now, it was the "Mabo" case that awarded aborigines land ownership of "sacred sites" that usually only occurred in areas of great natural resources which where quickly sold to private concerns for a great deal of money. People generally thought that if the aborigines were given their land back, they wouldn't have anything to be upset about anymore -- in reality, they got their land back and it just made them more and more vocal and obnoxious after they squandered their wealth in addition to regular welfare awarded for no other reason than being of aboriginal descent. Something I don't receive I must add.

I see this presidency in just the same way, a cowering white culture beat into submission and felt like they have to make reparations by electing a black president. Let me assure you it won't end here, generally people call this a "uniting" event but mark my words, the nation has never been more divided than it is now and it will continue to be driven apart by the "elephant in the room".

Whoopi Goldberg says that she can "finally unpack her suitcase" like she's a refugee and America has been very tough on her. I've seen similar sentiments everywhere on the news. What a nerve these people have! Blacks and whites collectively -- what a melodrama, what an insult to the country that has treated them so well.

I'll tell em' what they can do with their suitcase! -- and because I've got aboriginal blood, can you tell me I'm wrong without labeling yourself? Cower in your inferiority, or find strength in your diversity. What we all need right now is personal pride and the strength to stand by your conviction without fear of upsetting a minority.

There's only one of me and one of you; can you get any more minor than that?
M.

-Alpheez
Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
Well, of course race played a big role in the election, but you're implying that it's the only factor and that he was only elected out of alleged black racism and white guilt, as if there couldn't possibly be anything in Obama's policies and ideologies that people could actually agree with. That's simply not the case. Are there black people who voted for Obama solely because he's black? Probably. Are there white people who voted for Obama out of guilt? Maybe, though that's less plausible (in what kind of fairytale land does guilt take precedence over personal convenience?). In any event, these people cannot possibly be even close to the majority of Obama voters for one key reason (and also my perhaps overly idealistic belief that the American people are not, in general, fucking retarded):

There is a shift in the general American political climate that has been all but proven by Tuesday's elections, and that shift is left. Not only did Obama win quite a few key states that Bush won back in '04, but he made many of the elections in states he ended up losing much closer than expected (including McCain's home state of Arizona). Nobody wins an election by as large a margin as Obama did unless people actually genuinely want them to lead the country. Furthermore, the Democrats picked up enough Senate seats to take the majority as well as carving out a sizable new chunk of the House. And then there's Bush's continually lagging approval ratings (now roughly 27.8%).

Here's some recent general poll averages from a trusted website: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls/

And here's the the real linchpin of my argument, a map showing electoral shifts since 2004: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/11/05/us/politics/20081104_ELECTION_RECAP.html

You say that maybe the American people actually want "change" sarcastically, but the truth (the RCP average says 84.2% of Americans think the country's been moving in the wrong direction) is that they actually do want change. Will Obama successfully bring that change? It remains to be seen, but his supporters (myself included) certainly seem to think so.

Look at that map. America is changing (progressing, in my mind), in response to the past eight years and in response to the changes taking place in the world, and the election of Barack Obama reflects that change. Don't write his win off as meaningless and the American electorate as cowardly idiots just because you don't agree with his politics.

Eh, I'd probably have been less cantankerous if I had waited until the Obama-rama of two days ago had worn off before I posted. Oh well.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
That's funny, I don't remember saying Obama won because he's black nor because people are stupid, cowardly etc,. I didn't say any of that. What I said is that more than half of the white people voted for Obama, but all of the black people voted for Obama and your statistics support that statement. Regardless of the fact I wanted McCain to win, you can't deny that Negroes are discriminating by race. Where is it written that only white people can be racist?

Like I said before, many people see this as a uniting event, but it didn't work in Australia and I'm sure it's not going to be nearly as chummy as you think it'll be. I just hope he doesn't wreck the world economy too much, our family has a lot of irons in the fire right now and this 10 point loss in two days isn't helping anyone. In-fact since the polls came out with Obama as the winner, our Australian dollar has dropped by about 10 cents.

And while I'm at it, I don't understand all this Bush bashing... He bowed out like a champion today and they're still having a go at him, trying to name sewage treatment plans after him. I still have no idea what people have against him, he seems like an honest, genuine man. Oh, apart from him and Dick Cheney blowing up the WTC Rolling Eyes

Media/pop culture is a void of independent thought, even O'Reilly is going stupid these days- Reporting on how Palin is causing a rift in the party by losing her temper with her obviously incompetent aids and one "Scandalous" event where she answered her hotel door in a bathrobe... All this came from undefined sources and might not have happened, if it did, who cares. Yet Bill presented it like serious news, the fact is- Bill is only interested in one thing, and that's Bill.

Obama hangs out with terrorists, radicals, extremists, felons and America haters and we hear about Sarah Palin's bathrobe... Typical.
M.

-Alpheez
Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gumOnShoe
Eight

Post Reply with quote
Well, one thing you wouldn't recognize is that most black people vote democratic anyway and have for the last 40ish years. So yeah, I'm sure more came out to vote, and I'm sure there was some racism involved, but the black majority was going to the democrats either way.

As for a white culture cowering. :/

No, not really. Most people just liked his policies and attitudes better. I don't know anyone who voted for him just to not be racist. In fact, anyone who was worried about race usually told me they wouldn't vote for him. I don't know... lots of people vote for stupid things, but over 50% of "racist" white people voted for him so... I mean whatever.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
you know what, I always knew that the dems were very popular with black voters, but I never knew it was to such a large degree. I looked up the statistics and it seems that 88% of blacks voted for Kerry, this election isn't quite solid yet but it seems to be around the 90 - 95% mark.

At least 9 out of 10, I really don't know how one group of people could be so unified in anything! I wish we could all be like that, just so long as everyone felt the same way as I do Smile Still, this is a huge trend upwards from last time as things rarely change quite so rapidly or dramatically in politics. I was under the impression that the voter turnout would be huge too; and it is the highest turnout ever... From 45% in 2004 to 46% in 08. As I said before, it takes a long time for things to change.

Still, I'm sure people like 'acorn' and other *ahem* politically neutral groups had a hand in it, as well as this Al Franken debacle going on now... Get this, one of the scrutineers (hired to ensure fairness) had 32 votes in the boot of her car for some inexplicable reason and this person just "discovered" them after the fact in a desperately close election. All of those votes were for Franken... Now logically speaking, if they were just "votes" you'd expect a 50/50 split in a close election, right? What are the odds that you could flip a coin and have it come up tails 32 times?
These votes were selected by outcome, since they were announced later by a Franken partisan it's obvious they were invented. The same can be said for Acorn busing people to the booths all around the city so they can all vote 70 times each. In a lot of counties all around America, there were actually more votes counted than there were actual voters!

Do the math, 50% of people actually vote, so more than half of the votes must be fake! The whole thing is a hideous sham and is hardly worth discussing. Future candidates should forget the campaign and sink their money into buses.

I'll repeat myself again, I didn't say whites are cowards/cowering; you guys invented that connotation all by yourselves. I'm starting to suspect there might be an elephant in the room.
M.

-Alpheez
Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: