I've Had My Phil

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
I've Had My Phil
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post I've Had My Phil Reply with quote

As my education nears completion and my priorities are beginning to shift back toward the future of FP, lately I've become very sensitive to the advertising tools that large corporations use to inject their shot of WWW brand heroin into the arms of the unsuspecting populace.

Nowhere have I seen a more conspicuous tool than Dr. Phil.

There was a time when he was something of a moral compass and offered inspired advice to help those in the greatest psychological need. Then slowly, slowly he edged his way down the moral spiral from psychology deep into the murky depths of psychiatry. He became a Springeresque showman who no longer cared about the woes of the world; rather he became a prurient purveyor of aberrations, degenerates and perverts. This freak-show was presented with a calm and clinical outlook; but it was still voyeurism at it's worst.

Step right up! See the woman who eats a roll of toilet paper every day! And be sure not to miss the 300lb 5 year old, giggle morbidly as she "dances" for your entertainment! If that's not enough! See the lady who wants to debate the semantics of a "Head Job" without actually swallowing her 90 year old partner's excretions.

You think I'm making that stuff up? Nope... It's like I said, voyeurism at it's worst.

But then one day all that changed, he started going back to giving good advice and seemingly discussing real problems faced by real people. Then slowly, slowly it became apparent to me that all of his new shows started to have a theme and trends started to develop, namely product placement. You can look at any of his new shows and there's a vein running through them that focuses on the repetition of brand names, primarily dating website addresses that could have simply been referred as a "dating website".

So what's it worth to say match.com or lavalife.com or ratemynogoodboyfriend.com once every two minutes?

About 90 million a year.
M.

-Alpheez
Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lindione
Jack

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunatly, this is the route most of the shows like this take. Start out with genuine problems and slowly work down lower and lower for ratings. At this rate we will have an afternoon version of Jerry Springer (don't we already have 4 of those already). A few years ago, I didn't mind him whatsoever. Now, however, none of the stuff on now is ever going to affect me. It is just glorified gossip. I wonder if some of his guests actullaly have these problems, at least to the point they say they have them. I hope at one point people will get sick of it.

As for him changing back and using product placement, I don't like it, but it is better than eating toilet paper.
Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
I know exactly what you mean, daytime TV has become something of a psychological phenomena that both tickles our morbid curiosity and can provide almost a religious experience. Is this woman not looking into the face of her god?

OPRAH!!!!

Yes my friends, Oprah, our very own daytime demigoddess, mother to Dr. Phil and curator of the book club of death!

Remove religion from your god-spot. The Pharaohs Have Returned!
M.

-Alpheez
Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:01 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
Ah, good old Dr. Phil, one of my least favorite (famous) people on Earth. I just hope nobody actually takes his show or anything he says on it seriously (though given his success...). Also, it's funny you should call him "Springer-esque," because Jerry Springer's show actually devolved in the exact same way. Yep, hard as it is to believe, The Jerry Springer Show was actually once about normal people calmly receiving helpful solutions to their problems...but of course nobody wants to watch that!

As for daytime television in general...it inspires the same kind of fascination as a huge car wreck you can't tear your eyes away from, whether it's the parade of freaks on Springer/Maury/Phil, the parade of famous freaks on Oprah/Ellen/Tyra, the soap operas that can almost all be watched as comedies if you look at it right, the ridiculous game show sets that (intentionally?) haven't been updated since the '70s, or just some good old fashioned campy American whoop-assery courtesy of the Walker, Texas Ranger reruns constantly playing here in the states. If you're not familiar with Walker, Texas Ranger, the entire show is basically Chuck Norris's love letter to himself.

P.S. Shhhh, don't let Oprah hear you say anything bad about her. She has eyes and ears everywhere.

Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: