Fourth Perspective Breaks!

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
Fourth Perspective Breaks!
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Fourth Perspective Breaks! Reply with quote
At least for a while it did, late yesterday evening when I logged into the site as usual, I received a terrible shock. You may have seen what I'm talking about because for the period of about three hours there was an error, and to a novice like me it looked like a bad one, a really bad one.

I won't lie, I was horrified.

From what little I knew it looked like a programming error, like some one was in there pulling things apart. My first thought was to Gumonshoe whom I had given access to the 'back-end'. After finding out he was unaware of any changes, my mind turned to hackers, spiders, all kinds of malicious robots stomping about the net and wrecking things.

So I wrote another distressed letter and this time it was to my server who quietly informed me that something had crashed (or words to that effect) and had to be restarted.

It was done, and the site returned in the space of about 10 minutes. Although during that time I was quite distraught thinking something was irreplaceably damaged or work had been lost. It really brings back the old saying, 'you don't know what you've got til it's gone.' and this site means a great deal to me.

Without FP, I had that horrible sinking feeling like I lost something very dear to me, and for a while I did.
M.

-Alpheez
Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
Well at least it was nothing serious. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I could see the main page only for a bit, before that disappeared as well. Maybe it was just in my cache or something.

With all the spammers we've had here, it's no wonder you thought the worst when you saw it down, there are people with nothing better to do than break others' hard work.

Anyway, glad it's all OK, don't let it happen again!
Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Nothing would make me happier than to put in some more formidable security, amongst other things of course.

The first strange thing I noticed was the fact that no-one else had checked in that day, that bothered me all by itself but it turns out it was just a precursor to more worrisome things. Like you say though, there was no harm done and I hope it doesn't happen again soon.

There is no experience more humbling than when you're manipulated by forces beyond your control. I can fully endorse Bluehost though, they've been very helpful.
M.

-Alpheez
Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lindione
Jack

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I tried going on that day and I saw nothing. I started to wonder if anything happened to the site. Just make sure you pay the bill, Michael, the cable for my family got turned off because someone forgot to pay the bill. I had to spend 2 hours with technical support only to find that they want another 35 dollars. As for security, that might be a good investment (or at least a backup of all the information on the site, if you don't have one). I hope you can find a programmer. I'm actullaly studying programming now in school but the best I could do right now is put up a message that will say "Please don't hurt me."
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, I hate it when things go off too... Of course you know it doesn't cost them a cent to put it back on and it should come under the category of "Customer service". After all, they're penalizing you for buying their service... It doesn't make any sense does it? It's just small minded revenue raising that leaves a bad taste in the customer's mouth. Thankfully I only have to take care of things on a yearly basis and it's done automatically for me so there's no problem there.

You're studying programming? Good luck with that, you're going to need it... I certainly can't make head nor tail of it. Thankfully others can and they're brilliant at it so it's just a matter of making connections. Gumonshoe seems capable and has expressed an interest; but school takes precedence -- and rightly so.

Remember a while back how I was making noise about going to India so I could have some programming done? Well my itinerary has changed to Paraguay instead, my plane tickets have been bought and I'm off in April. That should cover the teaching requirements of my diploma, have an invention fabricated and perhaps I'll find some local programming talent at the same time.

It seems the best place for it.
M.

-Alpheez
Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:58 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: