Fourth Perspective Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Security, Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism.

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
Security, Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism.
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Security, Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism. Reply with quote
Welcome one, welcome all! My fellow students of life and those that wish to deprive us of it!

I'll keep this short, sweet and in plain English, the complete opposite to what we're used to. In order to use the forum here, you need to make an account. Click on the link in the top right of this main page and simply follow the instructions.

Once you're in, just click the forum button and post anywhere/everywhere you like, this site is for your enjoyment. We do however have one rule here and one rule only... No Kirk vs Picard debates. Smile
M.

P.S.
Picard is clearly superior.

-Alpheez

Last edited by Michael Danton on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
Picard has more substance, but Kirk has more style.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

P.S. So...are we still doing the whole writing thing, or has this site's focus shifted to become a meeting place for the Australian Jack Bauer community?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Alright, I'll give you that. Both captains definitely have their strong points. I think they're both equally fun but in very different ways. Personally I think of myself as a Picard so I can more easily relate.

Eventually I hope this site will have something for everyone. My aspirations for this place haven't dampened in the least but rather taken a back seat to my study which has been somewhat oppressive this week, unnecessarily so I might add. You're doing the Uni too aren't you? I can't recall...

In any case, there were a group of displaced students so I thought I'd give them a home and some friends... There's nothing more depressing than a homeless counter-terrorist.

M.

-Alpheez
Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:38 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
Yes, I am currently at "uni," and in the midst of studying for finals, too. Not much fun, but I can now point out Balikpapan on a map if you need me to.

Oh, and I'd like to welcome all our new friends with open arms and yada yada yada. If you want, I can help you write your pithy one-liners to say right after dispatching bad guys. That's a part of the standard operating procedure, right?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Would it surprise you if I said that I've never watched a single episode of 24? In retrospect I think I probably should once in a while, even if it's to polish up my pithy-one-liners. Like just the other day I was in the subway, and before I knew it, I was in mortal combat with a midget who sprang out of a stove-pipe hat. It was a bitter struggle until I managed to bend him like Beckham in front of the oblivion express. I was standing there... everyone was looking and the best I could come up with was, HA HA! You're small!

Worst one-liner ever... I guess I could use a bit more training... Wait! Damn.

Balikpapan... Sounds Mongolian, and sexy.
M.

-Alpheez
Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
It's either Indonesian or Malay. I think. I should probably know that by now. And actually, Jack Bauer is rather unique (read: American) among super secret agents in that he tends to spout his pithy lines before dispatching the bad guy (to scare them), and by "pithy," I mean such classics as "I'm gonna need a chainsaw" and "I'm not gonna torture you...I'm gonna kill you."

P.S. "Sorry, you must be this (*gesture with your hand*) tall to ride the subway!" With an optional "...motherfucker" at the end. You're welcome.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
I feel welcome. Oh and don't let any of the new guys scare you, if you want to comment on the STCT thread then please do. I'm certain we could all learn a lot from your experiences. What are you studying exactly?

P.S.
Oh, har har.... I guess he was feeling a little flat.

-Alpheez
Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:35 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
I'm studying...uh...a little bit of everything, really, but I feel myself leaning towards film or English (shocking, I know). Unfortunately, the only Intro to Screenwriting class has a waitlist stretching into infinity, so it's probably going to be a couple semesters before I can take it.

Though interestingly enough, next semester I'm taking a history course about the Middle East in the 20th century, so that's probably somewhat relevant to what you folks are doing. And actually, one of the stories I've been working on (or maybe a novella, depending on how much mileage I can get out of the concept...though really it's practically non-fiction anyway) is about terrorism and counter-terrorism, tangentially at least.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Let me get this straight... You're doing subjects willy-nilly without knowing what you're going to do or where you're going to end up? Shocked Quite honestly that sounds like my idea of hell, I know some people like perpetual study but I'm not one of those people. If I didn't know exactly when and where the finish line was and at what point I'd get my paper, I'd go mad.

The thought that I wasn't going to get that paper at the end is frightening to me... Chilling.

And then there's you... and Pianoabuser for that matter who goes into uni with no goals or expectations, rather just for the style of living... Excuse me for a moment, I think I'm having a panic attack.
M.

P.S.
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

-Alpheez
Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:13 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
I mean, when you're studying liberal arts that's pretty much what you're supposed to do. I don't have to declare a major until the end of my second year, so I'm pretty much free to roam for now. Really, I think it's much better that way, getting to learn stuff from such a wide variety of topics and having that much freedom. In fact, I feel kind of bad for all of my friends who are on a pre-med or business track and already have half their schedules filled out for them each semester.

And I hardly like the idea of perpetual study, I'm just exploring my options. The only downside to this strategy is that it virtually guarantees that I'll end up with a degree completely useless for getting a job...but again, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I mean, really aren't you doing the same thing, but one subject at a time instead of five?

Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Liberal arts huh? Like you say, I don't see the benefit of it but if there's paper involved then your job prospects shoot up. Personally I think you should take a major in teaching or along those lines. If you're stuck stateside, teaching qualifications + degree means great jobs anywhere you want one, judging by your command of the language, I'd think it would suit you. This is one aspect of getting a degree I hope to utilize some day.

But for me, my fate is pretty much sealed. Sure I could switch to something else because I'm doing foundation units, but once I get to specifics then I have to follow through to the end or waste the effort. Sure I have electives I can choose from over many disciplines, but I've decided to only elect units from criminology and eventually I'll end up doing most of a criminology degree in the process so I figure I might as well stick around for another year and get a degree in that too.

Get those Jack Bauer book-smarts and who knows, with a bit of luck maybe the pithy one-liners and Bond-girls will follow? Laughing
M.

P.S.
Did you think that scene with Grace Jones and Roger Moore in bed was a little creepy?

-Alpheez
Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
"Great jobs anywhere you want one?" I wouldn't quite go that far, especially given the current economy. But still, teaching is actually something I've thought about. I dunno, though, there are a lot of downsides to the job and not too many ups. But whatever, I've got plenty of time to figure all that out.

And I'm not so sure how book-smart Jack Bauer is. He's more of a shoot first, bark "dammit, there's no time!" at no one in particular later kind of guy.

P.S. Creepy? No, I actually thought it was a pretty interesting and gutsy move to make Bond gay.......Grace Jones is a guy, right? Razz

Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Seriously, someone with your paperwork and skill can get a job anywhere they like. There's a huge demand for English teachers... Even without a degree you can often move around Asia if you work at it and you don't discriminate. If you're in the country first it's 100 times easier due to the vague visa requirements.

Anyway, check out the jobs on offer http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/ they have much bigger lists devoted to China and Korea.

Don't fret about teaching. Work off a curriculum and you don't need to think about anything, just do a bit of work and then live it up... You can afford to seeing how much you're paid compared to local teachers.
M

P.S.
You can be like Rog and find yourself a nice Zulu man Smile

-Alpheez
Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: