The Height of Gothic Horror- 22 Inches.

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
The Height of Gothic Horror- 22 Inches.
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post The Height of Gothic Horror- 22 Inches. Reply with quote

Yes folks, I'm talking about Fraggle Rock. Created by Jim Henson on January 10 1983, and written by a host of writers, most notably Jerry Juhl and famed poet bpNichol. Similarly choreographed by a dozen directors including Jim Henson who at that time was experimenting with the more realistic styles found in the appropriately named "Dark Crystal".
Despite the amount of creative influences this series has received, it has always in my mind stayed homogeneously brilliant and true to the style and character unique to the Fraggles themselves.

On face value this series is full of brightly coloured characters that spend their days singing, dancing and having fun; but underneath all that lies an underlying core of dire seriousness that would make the most hardened survivalist cringe. The Fraggles themselves are constantly under siege by bizarre creatures, plants and even the things that are normally taken for granted in children's stories such as the very light itself, without which the Fraggles soon enter a deep sleep and never wake up. Their only food source comes from a garden seemingly in a parallel dimension as it occurs in the same space as the real world except this one is occupied by a single family of giants (Gorgs) who grow the Fraggle's staple food of radishes in order to make potions to prevent themselves from... Non-existence!

Of course they hate the Fraggles for this reason, but they seem too large to perceive the tiny "Doozers" that share Fraggle rock with the Fraggles, endlessly creating crystaline structures that the Fraggles eat on occasion and don't seem to serve any other purpose than to keep the Doozers busy. Although Fraggles can talk with Doozers, they're not considered worthy of talking to. In this fantastic world Jim Henson has created, there is a muted but definitive howl of hostility that the fraggles are oblivious to, but always have a method of handling through common lore... The last episode I saw had members of a Creeper Control Force deploy against a mat of choking vines that would crush a Fraggle to death and drink it's blood, a similar sentiment met with a laugh and a little dance.

These are some of the most psychologically 'weighted' stories I've encountered and they're not a Hitchcock thriller or Shyamalan twister. This is a children's musical show taken entirely to the next level and will always remain a true classic that cannot be immitated or repeated.

Keep on singing and dancing Fraggles! Because if you don't, you'll die.
(I'm not kidding)
M.

P.S.
Will the horror ever end?

-Alpheez
Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sistine
Queen
Metalhead

Post Reply with quote
Yet another reason to bask in the G-rated glory! Never before have I so wanted to view children's programming.

One knife in my hand and one more in my eye.
Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Well if you're part of the Y generation, this is probably the first time you've ever heard of it. In which case I thoroughly endorse it. Its something that adults and children can watch at the same time for completely different reasons.

The show itself was a roaring success in its day with about 99 shows over 5 seasons throughout the world... Here's the kicker, the show was so well made and thought out, that it actually "changes" depending on where in the world you're watching from!

How?

Well they wanted to make something that kids in their home countries could relate to, so they made about 5 different international versions of every episode, not just translations, whole plot and story changes...

There's dedication for you.
M.

-Alpheez
Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sistine
Queen
Metalhead

Post Reply with quote
I've heard it's name whispered now and then amongst some of the stranger adults that I know; on the other hand, I have no idea if I'm part of Generation Y.

Certainly, I'm going to give it a look.

One knife in my hand and one more in my eye.
Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lindione
Jack

Post Reply with quote
I'll keep an ear out for murmurs of it, but I don't have time to watch it myself, for reasons I'm allowed to explain in about 2 weeks.
Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Why is it that I'm an open book to you guys and you're all secretive?... 2 weeks, gimme a break! Smile

Now as for the show, you won't have to listen to murmurs for much longer, they're currently making a big-screen Fraggle movie with the original cast... well, what's left of them. Unfortunately Jim's benn dead for years and so have a number of others...

After looking at some biographies I noticed that very few of them rarely did anything muppet related after that, Katherine Prell for instance, the puppeteer behind "Red" is now an animator and artist with Pixar.

After looking at the producer/director/plot of the new film, I'm not too impressed, but if they stay true to form, it can't fail.
M.

-Alpheez
Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:14 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
subpar
Jack

Post Reply with quote
I always thought that show was rather creepy.
Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: