What has one eye and legs?

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
What has one eye and legs?
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post What has one eye and legs? Reply with quote
It's been almost a year and a half... I have to restate that as it's so incredible to me. A year and a half since I invited my closest colleagues and peers from Newgrounds to start something that was less a social place than it was a tool and showcase for all levels of writers -- in an intellectual community designed to inspire and generate creative energy.

As a speculative screenwriter, I have expressed a great desire to have my scripts read and realized by people that can make a difference! Deep down I think that's what we all want. Depending on your chosen craft, they could be producers, animators, artists, musicians or patrons of any number of creative arts that rely entirely upon the written word in all of it's styles and varieties.

The original motivation behind Fourth Perspective's creation was entirely selfish and born out of pure frustration! I surfed the net looking for a creative outlet, a place where my work would be safe and secure from plagiarism, a place where my works would be read and enjoyed (hopefully) and if they didn't, they'd offer some advice; but what I was looking for specifically was a place of recognition and endorsement.
I surfed in vain as a place like that simply didn't exist.
What I found instead were places where they'll lay claim to your work, lay claim to your options, lay claim to weekly subscriptions and generally inform you that you're there at your own peril!

I took it upon myself to answer the problems of these sites and I named it Fourth Perspective. A place that welcomes new, amateur and professional writers alike by offering a secure database to post their works or just to safely store them remotely. Fourth Perspective also provides protection from plagiarists as each file is assigned a unique code and indelibly marked the moment it enters the database. The same is also true for all revisions so the all important precedent is maintained.

The largest complaint from these other writing sites is the fact that most of the stories presented there by budding authors simply aren't read and in all likelihood, probably never will be. I have answered this problem by creating two unique systems, 'Carousel' 'Kibosh' and tempered these programs by giving the most attention to the stories that need it most. Simple ideas put into action and offered freely to the writing world with no exceptions.
As we expand, there may also be financial incentives and periodic competitions -- both official and member created with prizes on offer to the best of many.

What will really set us apart though will be our ranking system and the answer to the question that brought me to this point in my life. Earning and gaining recognition in a professional sense, an endorsement from a writer's peers that no agent or producer can ignore. My first hurried attempt at this was merely copying what everyone else is doing now and it didn't take me very long to realize that this idea was flawed, it was broken and once again I have developed another unique solution that I'm certain will revolutionize this site.... It may even change your life, it's certainly changed mine.

I have hired a professional web designer/programmer and we begin on Monday. Once again I ask my most trusted associates and founders of FP to be 'fourth' coming with your questions, comments, critiques and commendations.

Thankyou for patience, our wait is now officially over.
Michael Danton.

-Alpheez
Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:03 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
Hooray! Glad to hear you've succeeded at last. It certainly is the end of the beginning!

First suggestion: Some sort of defence against spammers?
Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:49 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Hooray is right, and I'm really glad you brought that up as it's going to be one of- if not the first thing I'll address.

I'm sure my new associates will have a great deal of experience in this area and they'll be able to advise me, but I was thinking of using something similar to: "Check this box, but not that box" type of deal in the account creation area. If they can't get in the door, they're no threat.

Have you seen any simple and user friendly methods of keeping them out?
M.

-Alpheez
Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
So the ball's finally rolling...awesome. Maybe it's just the fact that my computer has on and off been refusing to load up the forum page recently for some reason, but I couldn't help but feel like the site's been dying a bit as of late. This is just what we need for revitalization, though. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Best of luck, to all of us.

And as a side note, this reminds me that I should really get off my lazy ass and finish that short story I've been not working on.

Now as for spammer solutions, isn't it kind of the standard for most websites to have that randomly generated picture of a sequence of letters with weird shapes or coloring or whatever that you have to copy? Or does this site already have that?

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Sure, the site has been slowing for a year and quite frankly after all this time I'm shocked that our only visitors aren't tumble weeds. To me it's a clear demonstration that it's not just my witty repartee that's held your attention... You can appreciate the philosophy of the site and you show your support for it just by checking in occasionally. I've seen Lazypint here on a daily basis and it's just that kind of support that makes all the difference to me. You too Doc, we go way back, but absolutely nothing keeps you here or brings you back.

To me, that's well worth a year of rejection, if I were rejected by everyone... It'd probably be a different story.
M.

-Alpheez
Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
Any updates for us Michael? Are you still abroad?
Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:04 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Updates, I'm glad you asked, I was under the suspicion that you were getting tired of hearing me drone on.

In regards to the website:
It's official- the people whom I hired, outright lied to me and generally took me for a ride. I was quite shocked that a seemingly large and reputable company would do that to me which further fuels the fire of my rage against programmers. For an entire week they had me write pages and pages of info about how the site will work and how it'll look, I worked nights and ran myself ragged trying to get the info to them as fast as I could because I had this mad notion that they were actually getting it done and they needed more to do! That's what they said at least, when in-fact it was actually just adding insult to injury.

The bottom line is, everything is stalled again- take a good look at that hideous freeware spam blocker on the new account page and you'll see the product of a week's work and a week's pay. Indian programmers they were, claimed they were in the USA, but as you know they could have been anywhere. I've always had the lowest opinion of programmers and now I have a low opinion of Indians. That's why...

In regards to me:
I'm getting my assignments done in fits and spurts, marathon efforts followed by coma and amusements/distractions. There is so much going on in the fam at the moment that no-one could expect any different. It's just a very strange and turbulent time, especially with US elections coming to a head, crashing markets and the Aussie dollar yo-yo-ing No one really knows what's going to happen and personally all of our goals (although of immense importance) are only short term. Lately I've been looking to fortune cookies for divination... Yes I know how it sounds but it's given me some interesting responses in the past. One time I cracked one after asking it about the future of this website because I was feeling low about the recent debacle. It told me that my lucky number was 4. and the message was similar to- "A house without books is like a house without windows."

I took it as a good omen but lately the cookies haven't been as forthcoming with their wisdom... This is how lost I am in regards to direction, I'm asking a damn pastry!

Still, in order to complete my studies, it's best to go abroad and do it there, get some practical experience and generally soak in some local culture. My first choice was India because It would serve the purpose and it's likely I could make some connections and get this site done and finished; However now that I'm so jaded with Indians that I've cast my eye further afield and with the family in mind in terms of investment and maybe even immigration, I've noticed an interesting trend that guided my choice...

Consider the manufacturing history of the world in contrast to America... Immediately after WW2 in the 1950's the Japanese started making cheap plastic things and substandard knockoffs of American goods. Now they're an economic superpower, the Germans started making cheap knockoff cars with their warfactories = superpower. Chinese started making knockoffs of American fashion... Pakistanis, clothing... India, Programming... Now they're all superpowers and they all have one thing in common... They were all poor downtrodden countries that started counterfeiting expensive goods. Recently I've discovered one that isn't even on the industrial map yet because they are producing literally billions of dollars a year in fake goods, everything from mobile phone batteries to bootleg copies of Billy Ray Cyrus' "achey breakey heart".

This is a place where I'm giving careful consideration going, to get a feel of it, investigate and generally apply western business practices in order to discover some potential lucrative business opportunities. That country is Paraguay.

It's not like it's thoroughly undiscovered, the agriculture magnates and one mobile phone company has moved it's manufacturing plant down there, as well as all the typical fast food restaurants. What's the big attraction you ask? Well, for the past five years the capital has been nominated the cheapest city in which to live. It doesn't take a lot of money to get things done there and money makes the world go 'round - especially with government officials, they're very malleable. After thorough research I've discovered local laws also make it very easy for immigration, investment and a very interesting place to be. If the population was a little bigger, it'd be a superpower too- but looking at the statistics, on average every woman will give birth to more than for children and the mortality rate is low so it's only a matter of time and I want to be on the ground floor when it happens... What are the odds that another suicidal war is going to kill of 75% of the population again...

Like I said, I'm doing some careful research and there's a good chance I'll go and reconnoiter the area...
Wanna come with? Smile
M.

-Alpheez
Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
Yikes... so much for good news.

A basic understanding of lucky charms leads me to believe you should discard all of your possessions... clearly something you have is working against you. You could sell them all off, buy a gun, storm into the offices of a company with a well-designed website and take their programmer hostage... I can imagine the scene... you politely forcing the guy to sort the site out, actually paying him a decent wage while simultaneously brandishing the gun... Stockholm syndrome meaning he leaves the company and becomes your full time programmer.

Either that or a jail cell.

With regards to Paraguay... sounds interesting. Haven't had a holiday all year. Let's just check the travel sites... Hmmm... travel to Ascuncion from London... the cheapest flights are about 600 return... time for the first Fourth Perspective scholarship Wink ?
Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:11 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
I'm all finished stomping my feet and screaming "Why Meeeee!" Now my mantra is a positive "why not?" Well, I'll tell you why not... Like you, I've done my own research into flights and visas and it just doesn't add up, it's lousy timing. First I need a working visa and I won't have one before Uncle Sam kicks us out of America and I need one before I go. I also need to appear at the consulate in person and there's no time in the itinerary for that, plus+ I've also got a deposition coming up and I need to be present for that... Not only that, the only flights to South America leave from Miami and the way our trip is planned, we've got a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA through the Panama Canal so we won't have to do the cross country trek... It'd be ridiculous to fly right back again for about 600 quid like you said and void my return ticket home, positively stupid.
Speaking of positively stupid, flights from Sydney start at $5,000! I kid you not!

The plan for me now is to go back to OZ and work on the short films I've been scripting, without delay. Something tells me that'll help me, the website and you guys more than anything else. If I have to, I'll go to one of the big cities and finish my education there. Keep in mind I'm coming back to the states in a few months and I'll plan my escape itinerary through South America and everything will come together nicely I'm sure... As nice as it can be that is...

Are you serious about following me to Paraguay? I really want to know, I'm asking because there's safety in numbers. The more I read about that place, the less I can believe it... Guns, drugs, kidnapping, terrorists... It's like the planet on Star-trek that never developed a conscience or sense of law. You see the problem with incredible freedom and power is that other people have it too and ultimate power corrupts ultimately. Have a look at these:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/nov/06/paraguay.travelbooks

http://leav-www.army.mil/fmso/documents/paraguay/paraguay.htm

These are pretty scary amongst dozens of other things I've read, I wouldn't even get off the plane without one of these:

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Complete_Products_LIST.shtml

and a pair of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1RvTJBdRuA&feature=related

M.

P.S.
I thought the cop surplus body armor is amazingly reasonable!

-Alpheez
Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:03 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
If I had the money and didn't still live with my parents, I'd really consider it. Honestly. Unfortunately, I'm still paying off insurance and gym membership and my mobile phone contract...

Couldn't you consider a country that's accessible by bike? Wink I'm sure some of Eastern Europe is looking for foreign investment...
Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:44 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
I was just reviewing what you said about charms and I have to qualify that although my luck with the website has been abysmal, I've generally been very fortunate in every other respect. If there's something that's giving me bad mojo with the site than I'd rather hang onto it rather than jeopardize my winning streak in other areas.

I must say you're an adventurous sort, that's for sure. When I'm doing research into these countries, I've got angels and devils on my shoulders and they've both got very persuasive arguments... When it comes to Paraguay I've been looking into all kinds of industry that requires a great deal of unskilled labour, everything from bee-keeping to leech farming to starting my own language/explosives school... The leech aspect is the only one I haven't actually done but I saw an episode of Dirty jobs recently that would make it an incredibly lucrative practice selling to American sports-fishermen. I'm sure the lowlands on the Argentinian border would be jam-packed with em, as well as a water parasite that lays eggs in your bloodstream, fun...

Eastern Europe you like? Well that was always in the cards, although I've always been a firm believer that areas of conflict with untapped natural resources have the best potential for investment. If Paraguay is at the top of the list, then Russia has to be the lowest with Moscow currently being the most expensive city to live in, in fact the jobs I've found there barely cover the rent.

Sure, I could do that- What takes your fancy? Albania? Iraq? Serbia? Kosovo? Belarus? It can't be radioactive forever! Laughing
M.

-Alpheez
Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:32 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
As far as radioactive places go, I'm really keen to visit Chernobyl one day. I've always had a fascination with ruins and ghost towns... just the idea that people were born there and lived there and died there...

I saw some photos from a woman's trip to the place and she went on her motorbike... maybe in a couple of years if I can find a brave friend...
Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:51 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
Erm...don't you think that there might be a reason why the capitol of Paraguay is the cheapest city to live in?

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Paraguay... I've done some research into it and I've come to this conclusion:
If you've got deep pockets, 22 layers of kevlar and grande cojones, you can run that place.

After consulting my favourite reference, (the CIA world factbook) I've confirmed my suspicions. Russia isn't what I'd call economically viable; however the Ukraine and Belarus seem like interesting prospects. It'd be extremely useful if they were in the EU so I could get in easy enough (I have an Irish passport). Unfortunately they aren't, the furthest countries east are Bulgaria and Romania. Bulgaria has corruption and organized crime but usually that's a good thing- it's a high rate of inflation that I don't like the sound of. Romania seems to have closed it's borders with little growth of any kind due to reels of red tape preventing anything from getting done.

Still, it'd be nice to tour these places, especially by bike. I've got the cojones for Paraguay, I can go anywhere., I'm going next year if you're game.

я.

-Alpheez
Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: