Health is wasted on the Healthy.

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
Health is wasted on the Healthy.
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Health is wasted on the Healthy. Reply with quote
It's a bastardization of the quote I know, but that's how I feel about it after just recovering from a very persistent flu that has lasted for at least two weeks. When you're ill, things are very hard... it's too tough... I can't do that! You begin to assume a very pessimistic view on life and when you're ill, you'd be doing yourself a service to remember that fact.
Just like when you're well, you can get complacent and procrastinate, delaying the things that are most important to you in the belief that tomorrow's another day and it'll probably be fine and sunny. Some people go through their entire lives with this sentiment and accomplish very little, set in their masochistically manufactured worlds of comfort, convenience and custom. Everyone knows someone like that, and if you don't... well, it might be you Smile

It's good to be sick sometimes?

Perhaps, it's certainly brought things into perspective for me, I'm getting my jobs done, schoolwork, everything's going great and best of all, my "films" are coming together with my licensing, logistics and "funding" well under way. I can't guarantee the finished product will be any good, but I'll certainly do my best, who could ask for more eh?

Oh, as you know I returned from my trip abroad and I'd be happy to tell you all about it if you're interested, but I thought some upbeat talk of a movie would be more inspiring -- It certainly is to me.
M.

-Alpheez
Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:29 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
I'm currently getting extra hours at the petrol station because one of the other "console operators" is off sick with a "viral infection", which to me sounds like a case of being clinically fed-up.

A 2 week sick line was bad enough, but saying she thought she was well enough to come back but then getting another 2 weeks off was a bit suspect, unless this viral disease goes through remissions on a bi-monthly basis.

On the other hand, more hours for me equals more pay, and almost makes the job worthwhile. Though I am waiting to hear back about a job I went through an interview for...

I've never been super-sick in my life, even my appendix operation coincided nicely with the school holidays, but I can see how too much time spent feeling sorry for yourself could cause an illness to drag out...

A positive attitude is surely part of the cure, it certainly sounds like it helped you through your death-flu, and I wish that not every lay about with a "heart condition" got to sponge off the government for life.
Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:29 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Sometimes you can get fed-up with work and make up all kinds of ridiculous reasons why you aren't doing your job, it's a tender trap especially when there's sick days, etc,. Although it's merely superstition, I believe that karma can read e-mails and forums and I think you're tempting fate with talk that you've never been really sick. You've got to knock on "cyberwood" after saying something like that, ie,. Right after I wrote that my flu had left me and I was feeling optimistic again, within hours I developed this horrible cold-sore on my lip -- all but gone now, but it was a humbling experience.

This flu wasn't a "Death Flu" as you put it, but there were times I was quite frightened by it. The nights were the worst as the "dreams" seemed to irritate and amplify the sickness. There were times when I'd wake up and I'd be so cold, minutes later I'd be burning up, but I couldn't take the blankets off because I merely felt cold... I had gotten up in the night three nights in a row and just "watched" television until I fell asleep due to exhaustion. I had to stay up where the dreams couldn't get to me and I was able to rationalize how hot or cold I was feeling and dress appropriately, I was in a really bad way when you throw coughing fits into the mix. The next week I was just waiting for it to go completely and I still don't feel 100%.

I've had an operation that would have been very similar to yours and I don't look back at it as being very traumatic at all, of course the doctors keep you dosed up, but from my experience it was more of a relief than anything.
M.

-Alpheez
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:37 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WritersBlock
Seven

Post Reply with quote
I'm not the most healthy person. I'm skinny as, I eat shit foods and there's hardly a moment when I haven't got a cold. I can be sneezing my brains out and I'll still be at work, but then again, when I'm healthy, I don't think I'm all too wasteful. Sure, I spend a lot of time sitting at my computer, contributing to various sites, writing literature and music. I've had the whole of 2008 to think about it. And I've done a lot with my gap year. I'm leaving home in about 2 weeks and starting uni in a bit over a month.

My brother's a lot healthier than me, but when you think about it, he's pretty resourceful, too. I guess there's just too many people in general not willing to give things their 110%. But whatever, I'm an optimist.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Good to see you WB, it's been a while. Let me assure you it's good to be skinny, personally I'm a bit overweight but I haven't made any effort to lose it... Just doesn't bother me I suppose, it's starting to irritate now that I think about it though Smile

Thankfully I'm over my maladies and the new years/Christmas break was a good time for it. Although I'm well again, I have (we all have to a degree) a hard time getting motivated, getting jobs done and working toward a goal... Still, I've got quite a few government offices to call to get things straightened out and I don't think I'll have much luck on Monday so I'll try on Tuesday.... Wait... Shit, I'm rambling again... Never-mind.

Subconsciously though, do you guys find you're being sabotaged by yourselves because the next step (whatever it may be) requires more work or responsibility?

M.

-Alpheez
Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:06 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WritersBlock
Seven

Post Reply with quote
I've missed opportunities by lacking the nerve to act on instinct, but as of late, I've found myself taking more of those opportunities and reaping the rewards because of it.

I've got a confirmed job for when I move to Perth in a week's time, but I think my new boss is pretty average. One phone call to talk to him, and he was on the phone with someone else. Alright, just get him to call back when he's done. Some time later I make call two. I get through to him but he's in a meeting. He'll get back to me in ten to fifteen minutes. I wait, then I go to lunch. I come back and make another call. He's just gone into a more "official meeting" which could take up to two hours, but they pass on another message that he'll call back right after the meeting. I wait, and then I call for the fourth time. He's gone home. It seems I, a mere 18 year old internet-dwelling Uni student of the future, have more initiative than my future boss. Or maybe it's just that the matter of my employment isn't a decision that directly affects this guy's life.

Sooner or later I've got to get through to him.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:27 am View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
Well at least you're showing him you're interested, a go getter...irritating. But yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Get this, I've been getting a student allowance from the government (why not eh?) and everything was going great until September last year while I was on holidays... Slight mix-up in the paperwork means I'm not getting any dosh.

That was September.

I find out all my school had to do was send them a brief note saying that I'm still a student... So I call my school, I write E-mails, I visit Centrelink, I get them to call... A dozen friendly notices later and it's no longer friendly. Still, it all turned out well in the end -- Got everything I deserved retroactively and will continue to... Now I just have to get those lazy bastards at the school to grab their green pens and mark my work... I've got 3 assignments floating in the aether now.

So in short, they're doing to me too. What's the job WB?
M.

-Alpheez
Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WritersBlock
Seven

Post Reply with quote
I'm still not competely sure what I'll be doing, I just know that I'll be working in another Bunnings store, and probably on the checkouts or gatehouse again. I really can't be sure.

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: