Shopping for Gordon.

Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News View previous topic
View next topic
Shopping for Gordon.
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Shopping for Gordon. Reply with quote

Did you guys hear about this? If you're watching liberal media then you probably didn't.

The controversy surrounds a ceremonial meeting between the new leader of the United states and that of 'our' greatest ally Gordon Brown, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. This ceremonial gathering is designed to facilitate a meeting of minds and solidify the ties that unite the two countries and promote growth of that unity.

Obama used the opportunity to forcibly return a bust of Winston Churchill that was given to the American people as a sympathetic gesture of unity after the 9/11 attacks. I don't have to tell you about the faux-pas of returning a gift in normal circumstances, even if it's dogs playing poker; but for the first citizen to return a priceless piece of art that was a gift from one nation to another in a time of disaster? Simply outrageous! The place where the bust once rested was immediately replaced by a bust of Lincoln, so it's quite clear Obama had sinister intentions that placed interior decoration above diplomatic relation.

It would have been less of an insult if he'd put it on top of the cistern. Anywhere else!

As if that wasn't bad enough, the ceremonial gifts that were later exchanged are intended to embody the spirit of their nation and Brown thought hard about his presents, giving Obama a desk pen-holder carved from the timber of a Royal Navy anti-slavery ship of the 19th century. To that he added the framed commission for HMS Resolute, a British ship saved from Arctic ice by America and whose timbers a grateful Queen Victoria had made into a desk now standing in the Oval Office. To top it off, Brown gave Obama a first edition of a new seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill.

So what thoughtful gift did Obama give in return to the half-blind Brown? Twenty-five DVDs of American films - According to the Herald Sun. To make matters worse (how could they be worse???) these DVDS can only be played in the United States...

Can Secretary of state Clinton do any better? How about giving the Russians a big red button... I'm not joking. Back in the cold war, that was the most frightening thought an American could muster and it has decidedly negative connotations today, yet the button was given. A "reset" button is was called, however the Russian translation was botched and the closest English word would be "Overcharge".

Everyone picks on the Bush government but did he or Condoleeza ever do anything this outrageously arrogant and buffoonish? Let alone in the first two months of their administration?
M.

P.S.
My first doctored photo by the way.

-Alpheez
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LazyPint
Queen

Post Reply with quote
I did read about the red button debacle and remember a brief mention of the gift exchange as well.

All told, it seems the relationship is all about our support of the Iraq War, something a lot of people are still angry about.
Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
I don't see any alternative to the war, both the Americans and British were attacked on their own soil. The very least the Brits can do is contribute to their own unified defense.

Obama is a populist in his attacks against an unpopular war, however in his executive position he has done nothing to stop it, quite the reverse with troop surges in Afghanistan.

I dislike people with nomadic principles and duplicitous explanations.
M.

-Alpheez
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. E. Worm
Queen
Maccabee

Post Reply with quote
At least in Afghanistan we're (sort of) actually fighting the people who attacked us. Still, though, I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way Obama is just trading one unpopular war for another. It's not really going to solve anything in terms of public unrest and the giant sinkhole of money that in these times can be better spent on a lot of other things. Though I guess that this time, the government has a chance to actually implement some kind of exit strategy, so things could turn out better than they did in Iraq. It's not quite the "change" I was looking for, but it would be enough for now.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Michael Danton
Ace
Overlord

Post Reply with quote
It's no "change" at all, he's just following through with Bush's policies regarding the war because like Bush, Obama is getting his intel from people on the ground. Things are working there, America is keeping the peace and the worst thing they could possibly do is cut and run. This would embolden the terrorists who are relentless and leave American allies to be slaughtered. It happened in Vietnam and it'll happen again.

I like this kind of 'change' it keeps things just the way they are.

But I'd like some damn change when it comes to the economic infrastructure of America... Obama has singlehandedly bankrupt America by trying to keep things just the way they are... Although that lousy turncoat McCain would have done the same thing...

Obama's the change guy, but it seems his decisiveness is limited to who he thinks is going to win basketball games... While he's got guys like Dodd, Frank and Geitner looking after America's finances??? It's ironic that they're all complaining about people getting bonuses for gross incompetence.
M.

-Alpheez
Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:28 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Reply to topic    Fourth Perspective Forum Index » News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: